Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Came, I Saw, I Conquered The Metro


The last few days have been eventful.  I have FINALLY been able to step off campus and explore a bit.  Yesterday I went down to the National Mall (you know..the area between the Washington Monument and the Capital, not a big place to go shopping) and looked around the Museum of Natural History.  Today I finally made it to Target and bought clothes hangers so I can get to unpacking the boxes of stuff that arrived for me a few days ago.  Driving me crazy!

The biggest success in all of this is that to do these things I rode the DC Metro, which means that I, midwestern Iowa girl, have conquered my fear (ok, not fear...but extreme naivety) of mass transportation.  I already feel a bit more worldly.  ;-)

Also weighing heavily on my mind is the fact that I do not have an internship lined up yet.  Monday there is an internship bazaar at American's main campus, so I'll head up there and check it out.  I did apply two places earlier  in the week.  One, it turns out, no longer exists so I was a bit disappointed.  The others emailed me and expressed interest, so I'm going to check them out at the internship bazaar!

Here are some pictures of my first few days:

The main entrance to our campus.  This is also my residence hall, too! (Capital Hall)

The Washington Monument on a beautiful day

A little bit of home -- Iowa soil in the "Dig It" exhibit at the Museum of Natural History

Well, that's it for now.  Maybe next time I write I'll have an internship?  Maybe????

~Katie

No comments: