Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day


Lizzy and me in a victory hug as Barack Obama is declared the next President.

Election day was one of the most beautiful days of my lifetime, a day I know I will remember forever, and a day that I will be able to tell my children about.  This was the first presidential election in which I could vote, and I made history.

I headed into work yesterday morning, where a lot of work wasn't getting done.  Our office had set the TV up to the projector in the conference room, popped popcorn, and had various other refreshments.  People filtered in and out all day to watch the "results" (though not much was going on, since California was still sleeping soundly at 9:00 eastern time!).  There was a lot of commentary and "whatifs" being thrown around, but I enjoyed listening to all of it.

Eventually I returned to campus and prepared for what I knew would be a long night.  Around 6:00 I headed over to Tenley Cafe, where there were TWO big screen projectors set up.  I ate my dinner and proceeded to set up camp in a very good spot in front of the TV.  I was in it for the long haul!

We watched the initial results come in--Vermont, New Hampshire, etc.  There was a big sense of relief as Pennsylvania went blue--I wasn't too surprised, but it was definitely a much needed win.  I held my breath as the electoral number kept creeping up.  Ohio coming in for Obama was a highlight.  At that point, I think we all knew it was coming.  We laughed as the commentator tried to show on the map what McCain had to do to win now--as he selected states he would say things like "I wouldn't bet more than a dime on that one" and "I just can't give him that" or simply just shake his head.  But still, there was a feeling of anticipation--we don't readily forget 2000 and 2004.  Some key states still weren't in--Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, ALL of the west coast.  I was betting on California's glorious 55 votes and knew we really only needed one more substantial state to have it set.  I had a sense of pride when Iowa rolled across the screen--our great 7 votes!  It was really interesting to see people watch their home states, since we have people here from all over the country.  When Iowa came in, I clapped and cheered, and others joined me.  The little state that started it all, we said.

THEN....

VIRGINIA!  Oh my goodness Virginia.  Perhaps one of my most favorite states now.  As Virginia came in, the room just erupted.  We watched the electoral count hit 220, even still without the west coast, and we all knew it was set now.  People were cheering and screaming, jumping up and down.  I was just frozen in time, unable to believe that it was really here, this was really it, and it was really TIME!  My friends here forget that for me and other Iowans, this process started years ago...I saw my first Presidential candidate in December of 2006!  And the last two years were all leading up to that moment last night.

CNN made their projection, declared Obama the victor, and things went nuts.  We were all screaming and cheering, shouting, chanting "Yes we did!" and "Obama, Obama, Obama!"  Even the relatively few McCain supporters in the room (I would say about half a dozen!) remained quiet and respectful, letting us enjoy the moment. More than once I had tears come to my eyes, so proud of Americans for voting, of young people for actually caring, of my country for letting this monumental day take place.

We watched McCain's concession speech, one that I felt was sincere and heartfelt.  I even had a bit of sympathy for the old man...you can't say he doesn't put up a good fight.  But this is the way the election was supposed to be, and America chose its next president.

The room waited for Obama's speech and watched the crowd at Grant Park go nuts.  We waited for a very long time, it seemed, and enthusiasm and energy were beginning to drop--it had been a long day for many (some of my friends were up at 4:30 to go work the polls).

Then he came out on stage--our next President.  Tears came to my eyes at the sight of this man--a man who came from nothing, who worked hard, who inspired millions, who became a U.S. Senator and the next President of the United States in just a few short years, and who made history last night.  His speech was quite good (though our stupid projector did shut off in the middle of it...there was a frantic moment as 60 people tried to crowd around laptops, while I stood on a chair trying to get the darn thing to work again!).  When Joe Biden came out on stage the whole thing really hit me--this was it.   This was the next leading team.  These are the two men I will look to to guide my country for the next four years.  I'm so confident in their abilities.  At this point I looked around the room and saw many people full of tears, some laughing with joy, everyone in awe of how far our country has come.

At the end of the speech, I headed back to the dorm with Ruthie and was surprised to find it raining in DC.  I didn't even care--I ran out on to the lawn and screamed "Obama is our next President" and Ruthie and I started shouting and cheering, running around in the rain.

It seemed a let down to go to bed last night, but I fell asleep listening to a few stragglers out in the streets, cheering and screaming still, and cars passing by honking with joy.  Last night I didn't even care how loud DC was.  These streets will never be the same.

This morning I woke up and went in search of a newspaper.  I couldn't find a Times or a Post anywhere, but I did manage to snag the last Wall Street Journal from the Metro Station.  It's not my usual periodical, but I don't care.  The headline reads, "Obama Sweeps to Historic Victory" and that's all that matters.  I'll show my kids this paper some day.

No comments: