Sunday, September 14, 2008

9/11 Unity Walk

What an awesome day I've had!  Today was the annual September 11th Unity Walk.  It is a walk done every year by people of different faiths.  It begins at the Washington Hebrew Congregation and proceeds down Embassy Row.  Virtually every church, temple, synagogue, or place of worship opens its doors for the walk.  It is a very powerful experience.

I began at Washington Hebrew Congregation today at 1:30.  The walk began with a Muslim Call to Prayer, which was beautiful, and then several leaders spoke, including the rabbi of Washington Hebrew Congregation, the Dean of the Washington National Cathedral, and Reverend Mpho Tutu (Archbishop Desmond Tutu's daughter).  Desmond Tutu also filmed a video address to those of us who were walking, which was viewed at Washington Hebrew Congregation.  St. Augustine's Gospel Choir performed too, which almost brought me to tears.  I actually did start to cry as we began our walk because the first people out the door were Rabbi Bruce Lustig and Imama Abdullah Khouj, linked arm and arm.  It was very powerful to see these groups put aside their differences and unite for the cause of peace and understanding.

Our walk proceeded down Embassy Row.  Several places of worship were open along the way for refreshments and bathroom facilities!  The host congregations were so welcoming and passed out cold water to the walkers (much appreciated since the temperature in DC today was well over 90 degrees and very humid!).

Our next stop was the Islamic Center.  Here Imam Abdullah Khouj welcomed us and we were addressed by several other leaders of faith.  The highlight of this stop was Arun Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi.  His message was beautiful; he told a story comparing peace to a grain of wheat.  If you have a grain of wheat and you keep it to yourself, it will eventually decay and become worthless.  but if you plant the grain, it will take root, produce, and multiply.  The same is true of peace, he said.  It was a very touching message.  He then led us out of the Islamic Center for the remainder of the walk.  We ended at the Gandhi Memorial.

It was a great experience and I'm so glad the heat didn't deter me!  Those of you who know me well know that my life has changed drastically this past month, beyond even my move to DC.  The walk today really brought me a sense of calm and reassurance.  It may have been temporary, but it sure felt good!  Here are some pictures from the day:

St. Augustine's Gospel Choir at the National Hebrew Congregation

Gathering at the  Islamic Center
Arun Gandhi speaking at the Islamic Center
Gandhi Memorial with the Unity Walk banner

Some friends and I with Arun Gandhi

I think about my friends and family from home all of the time...I hope all is well in your own lives!  While my experience here is going great, rest assured that you are all deeply missed.

~Katie


No comments: